Saturday, March 22, 2014

Maple Syrup



I made maple syrup tonight. 

I can see you cocking an eyebrow at the computer screen. 

"Yeah, right. Sure you did."

I did. 

This recipe came to me from a friend of a friend. 

I was sceptical. I admit. 

Then I tasted it. 

Then I made David taste it. 

(a little Garden of Eden, I know.)

There was no going back. 





Maple Syrup

1. In a medium saucepan, add 1 3/4 Cup white sugar, 1/4 Cup brown sugar and 1 Cup water. 

2.  Stir together then bring to a boil. When it comes to a boil, cover and cook 1 minute.  This is important. Just one minute. Leave lid on and remove from heat. Let cool slightly with lid still on. 

3. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp maple flavoring. I poured mine into an old spaghetti sauce jar. Refrigerate. 





2 comments:

  1. If you refrigerate that, it will crystalize. We grew up using that recipe instead of buying store bought. It's good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. duly noted. I am a novice at imitating a maple tree.

    ReplyDelete