Banana Bread is one of those staples in every household. Everyone has their own version.
Each as good as the last. My recipe is not outstanding on it's own except for one small addition that takes it from Blah
(See what I did there. I rhymed.)
Toffee Banana Bread
(Original recipe origins unknown. I've had the index card so long that it is turning brown)
1 3/4 Cup AP flour 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda 2/3 Cup sugar
1/3 Cup shortening 2 eggs
2 Tbsp milk 1 Cup mashed banana
3/4 tsp salt cinnamon
1 Cup toffee pieces
1. In small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
2. In mixer, beat sugar and shortening on high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs and milk, one at a time, beating till smooth after each addition.
3. Add flour mixture and banana alternately to creamed mixture, beating until smooth after each addition. I start with the flour, then banana, then flour and end with banana. It makes my OCD happy.
4. Fold in toffee pieces.
5. Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill 2/3 of the way up in each cup. Bake at 350 degrees until toothpick inserted in middle of muffin comes out clean. I have no set time on this. I just keep an eagle eye on them so they don't burn.
6. You can make this same recipe for a loaf of banana bread. Just leave out the toffee and bake in a greased pan for 60-65 min at 350 degrees.