Friday, April 18, 2014

Applesauce Cake


A while back, I set my hand to making homemade applesauce. I tried it a few times without much success. I stumbled across this breakfast cake in my recipe box on a page torn out of a magazine. I think it was from Everyday Food but it's sort of hard to tell by a scrap of paper. Wherever it's origins, it is good. It uses homemade applesauce as the base and better than that, it is all done in one pan. I will give this warning: it looks disgusting unbaked. Baked, it looks like you would have eaten it in Europe in the 1600's. But don't judge a book by it's cover. 



Applesauce Cake
~ serves 8  -  roughly 300 calories a slice ~

  • 1/2 Cup oil
  • 3 large apples, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks - i end up using 4 gala's since they are small
  • 1/2 Cup brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 Cups Gold Medal White Whole Wheat flour
  • 3/4 tsp coarse salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep apples. 



2. In a large saucepan, bring apples and 1/2 Cup water to a simmer. Cover and simmer 12 minutes, or until apples are tender. 


3. Mash apples. I use a potato masher first and then finish with a whisk. Note: Pampered Chef whisks are the bomb. 


4. Whisk to drier texture over heat, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.


5. Whisk in brown sugar completely then add oil and whisk again. Add eggs and whisk again. 


It should look like this. 


6.  Add flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk till mixed. 



7.  Pour batter into greased 8-inch round pan. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. This takes about 30-35 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for a while, then invert and let the cake cook upside down on a wire rack without the pan. 




I wish I had an after photo to show you, so you would believe me that it comes out of the oven looking alot better than it did going in. The kids love it for breakfast, but it works as a dessert as well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment