Thursday, November 6, 2014

Coffee Break




For the last three years, we have had a piano in our kitchen/dining room. Mainly because there was no where else to put it. A few months ago, I re-arranged the furniture and was able to move the piano to our living room. 


Which gave me a whole blank space to fill up as I wished. 


And presto, the coffee corner was born!


And I have to say, it is my favorite part of the house. 


Here are a few photos showing the (practically) finished product. 


1. I moved the microwave cart over (minus the microwave) and it became counter space. Added baskets underneath for tablecloths, kitchen towels and washcloths, and place mats. 



2. I found these old cobweb shelf brackets at a flea market in Prairie Grove. The shelves are old boards found in my grandpa's barn and painted grey. For an autumn touch, I added fabric leaves from the dollar store. I stuck them on with mounting putty. No muss, no fuss. 





3. The hanging wire basket was found at a flea/vintage/handmade/junk market called the Junk Ranch. This was the first time I attended and despite the cold, blustery weather, found some wonderful pieces (others to come in a later post). 

This wasn't actually for sale but I am a big believer of "You'll never know if you don't ask". I asked and it came home with me. 





4. My sister was going to throw away this stool and I snatched it up before she could change her mind. Add a coat of bright orange spray paint and you hardly recognize it! My rosemary plant was the only herb that showed any growth this summer so to reward it, I gave it a place of honor. Plus, I like the splash of verdant green. 



Project Breakdown
Shelf boards -- Free
Shelf brackets -- $6 apiece
Wire basket -- $5
Stool -- Free
Woven baskets -- $10 from Joann's on sale
Grey paint -- mis-tinted can from Lowe's $2.50
Total cost = $43.50

Finishing touches will be 
*painting the walls, but that includes the whole kitchen so it will be a while.
* a new coffee pot. This one leaks like crazy, thus the towel underneath. But it has served us faithfully for over 5 years, so I don't want to give it a bad rap. It deserves to retire with honor. 
*maybe a striped rug for our feet. That tile is cold on an autumn morning. 


Where is your go-to spot in your home? 

A cozy reading nook?

A comfortable bed with fluffy pillows? 

The back porch on a fall evening?

Leave a comment and let me know. I would love to hear about your favorite places.

Happy Fall Ya'll!

4 comments:

  1. My yard swing my husband built me this summer! Love your new wall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, that turned out great! A cozy corner.

    ReplyDelete