Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Buttermilk Cornbread

This is my cornbread recipe. It is a huge favorite for my family. Quick and easy, you can pop this baby in the oven in about 10 min. Now, this is not original to me. I tore this out of a Martha Stewart magazine a while back. I have altered it a little bit in the cooking process to suit me, but the ingredients are all hers. Way to go Martha!

Buttermilk Cornbread
 
 
Serves 8
Prep time:10    Total time: 45 min
 
 
1/4 Cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more, room temperature, for baking pan
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup AP flour (spooned and leveled)
1/4 Cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
 
Prehead oven to 400. I cook my cornbread in a cast iron skillet and I go ahead and put it in the oven so it is nice and hot when I put my batter in.
 
In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
 
In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter and eggs (mixture might appear curdled). Add to flour mixture all at once and stir just until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX!
 
At this point, your oven should be preheated. Open the oven and drop a few tablespoons of butter into the skillet. Watch very carefully so it doesn't burn and as soon as it is melted, pull it out of the oven and pour in your batter. You should hear the batter sizzling as it hits that butter in your skillet. It makes this wonderful crispy, buttery crust on the bottom of the cornbread. Smooth the top with a spatula and cook.
 
Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick instered in center comes out clean. Pop out of skillet and let cook on a wire rack about 10 -15 minutes before serving.
 
Serve with butter, honey, molasses or sorgum. Delicious!
 
Store in an airtight container on the counter.
 
This was a while back (as Ian is still a baby in this photo) but look at the height on that slice! I could barely fit it in my mouth.


2 comments:

  1. HA! I love the picture. Have you ever used white cornmeal and do you know if it makes a difference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't used white cornmeal so I can't really say if it changes the texture or anything. I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well.

      Delete