Wednesday, September 25, 2013

First attempt

I made two loaves of Grandma Green's bread this afternoon. I have always, for some strange reason, feared baking bread. It has loomed over me as this unattainable goal, only to be achieved by truly accomplished cooks.
 
Not so.
 
I have proved, without a shadow of a doubt, that even us amateur cooks can bake the perfect loaf of bread. I didn't start the dough till after we came home from picking Lillie up at school. And we were snacking on it for supper by 5:30.
 
It was a breeze.
 I started the dough rising and went to begin (admittedly late) the day's school work with Ian.
While he was coloring the letter of the week, I punched it down to rise again.
While he was making a vine out of a craft stick, construction paper and twine, I put it in the pans.
While he was coloring the illustration of the nursery rhyme for the week, I put it in the oven.
 
By the time school was finished, I was pulling out two golden brown, crispy, fragrant loaves.
My house smells amazing. Just the way Grandma's house smelled every time we would come over for family gatherings.
 
I made a half recipe, using only 3 cups water, 4 cups flour, half the oil, salt and sugar and 2 packages yeast. Next time, I might add more sugar back, since they are not very sweet at all. But Grandma was right. You can't ruin bread. All I had to do was add some butter and honey, and viola! Yummy city.
 
( I will post a picture here as soon as I can. Hold tight)
 
The 3 kiddos and I ate almost a whole loaf ourselves.
The result of this all being that, in good conscience, I feel that I have to start making my own bread. This recipe is too easy and too healthy to not at least try.
It is also very cost effective. I figured it up. It's about a $1.25 a loaf.
 
 
That's correct. You heard me right. A dollar and twenty-five cent a loaf! At the rate we go thru bread, I could save a small fortune. I also thinking about doing some variations. Grandma suggested cinnamon/sugar bread, adding herbs, or possibly maple flavoring or raisins. I am going to mess around and see what works. I'll let you know how it comes out!
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds delicious! Wonder if there will be any next time I am at your house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure thing! I'm thinking I'm going to have to make it about every other day at the rate we are eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Fav line: "While he was coloring the letter of the week, I punched it down to rise again." Ha! So cute. And watch those hips! Bread likes to rest there. Ohmagosh. I could eat a whole loaf of Grandma's bread with butter. Post a picture!

    ReplyDelete