Saturday, November 16, 2013

As a parent, you will never be perfect. You will never do everything just right. But take heart! There sometimes come along these moments where your Mommy radar was spot on the money. If you read my last post, you know that Ian has not been himself lately. After about 3 weeks of this, it was getting frustrating and I was getting impatient. You can only take so much of a crying, whining little boy who is dissatisfied with everything.

Monday of this week, Ian was at his worst. Crying at everything. Bursting into sobs at random moments with a velocity that made me think he was in actual pain over something. But nothing was wrong that I could see. No fever. No rash. No diaper issues. Nothing I could put my finger on but in the back of my mind, I kept telling myself "This is not normal."

Monday night was epic. Up all night and crying.

Tuesday morning, I found dried fluid in his ears and that was it for me. I made an appointment with the pediatrician and took him in for a check up. And guess what?

Both of his eardrums had ruptured and he had a double ear infection. It makes my heart hurt for him just thinking about it even now. But it did make me feel wonderful that I had taken him in even thought there were no concrete signs that anything was off. Makes a Mommy feel like she did her occupation proud.

The doctor said that they had ruptured recently, probably Monday night. But this is what makes me say a prayer of thankfulness. Tuesday morning, when I noticed all the dried fluid and built up earwax, I was going to drip a little hydrogen peroxide in his ears to clean it out. I do this to my own occasionally when they get a little too waxy. But I hesitated and decided to wait till after the doctor appointment in case they could make a diagnosis by what was in his ear canal. Can you imagine the level of pain if I had poured cold peroxide onto freshly ruptured eardrums? Not to mention the possibility of post infection? I am ever so thankful to the providence that made me stop.

After 5 days of  antibiotics, he is back to his old cheerful self. It is nice to have my little man well again.

No comments:

Post a Comment