Saturday, November 16, 2013

Chicken Spinach Quiche

I just love a good quiche.

For breakfast, lunch or dinner. Especially when it is full of yummy ingredients like ham, spinach, chicken, cheese, mayo (I have a slight love affair with mayonnaise), and basil (this too).

Most of all, a quiche is a one pot dish. It's almost like cooking dinner without cooking dinner. Sort of a night off, if you will.

And boy, have I needed a night off!


Chicken Spinach Quiche
(courtesy of the Grace Chapel Cookbook and Susanna Guess)
 
2 unbaked 9 inch pie shells                                              2 eggs, beaten
1 cup cooked chicken, chopped                                       3/4 cup mayo
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese                                           3/4 cup milk
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach                          1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion                                                      1/2 tsp diced basil (I use dried)
 
 
1. Pierce pie shells with a fork and bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.
 
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss together chicken, spinach, cheese and onion. Spoon into pie shells. I use a chopper on the chicken and onion. I have found that the smaller the pieces, the easier my kids will eat it. I also use what ever meat is on hand. Tonight was ham. We will see how it comes out. I also defrost my spinach and tear it apart with my hands before puttin it in the bowl.
 
3. (This part is my own brilliant thinking) Rinse out the large bowl and use it in step 4.  See! No extra bowls!
 
4. Stir together eggs, mayonnaise, milk, basil and pepper until smooth. Pour over chicken mixture. Now, the liquid never seems to cover the dry ingredients. Don't worry about it. It will come out just fine. Don't do what I did the first time and add more egg and milk to make more liquid. What will happen is that the quiche won't set and you have a pie pan full of goo.
 
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
 
 
 
This will feed my family of 5 and leave a few slices left over for my darling man's lunch the next day. Great as a leftover. Sorry, I don't have the nutritional info on this one but with the mayo, milk and cheese, I'm going to guess it's fairly high in calories and fat. But yummy also!



1 comment: