Saturday, November 16, 2013

Especially Humphrey

I am going to try something today. It will survive based on your response. Do you like it or not?

I love books. All shapes, sizes and genres. I love to recommend books. So what would be more natural to add to my blog than a book review? Reading is one of my all time favorite hobbies. I specialize in fiction and children's lit. I occasionally read nonfiction but if you look at my bookshelf, it is 90% fiction. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a good fairytale.

The first book I will offer up for your consideration is an old short story that I read for the first time when I was about 8. I have loved it since then and was excited when I found it for 50 cents at the used book store.  I think the thing that caught my attention back then and even now, is the title. I have always had a soft spot for the name Humphrey.

Especially Humphrey by Mina Lewiton


You can buy it on Ebay here.

A delightful romp about a young writer who buys a English sheepdog puppy to live with her in a snobby upper crust neighborhood. As is predictable, chaos ensues. The entire book is only 76 pages long. One interesting thing about it is that it does not have chapters. It is just one straight read, start to finish. I read it out loud to Lillie in one evening. Suitable for boys or girls, it would particularly appeal to any child who loves dogs of all sorts as, in the cast of characters, there appears several kinds; sheepdogs, a dachshund, a cocker spaniel, a beagle, a Dalmatian. As an adult, I appreciate the great job that Lewiton did making the characters seem alive and pulling you into the little world of Upper Burrditch. She also had some great names; Amelia Darling, Mr. Orville-Sands, Mrs. Frotherer. As a plus, the illustrations by Howard Simon (Lewiton's husband) are sweet and simple.

We rate it a 10 out of 10.

4 comments:

  1. I just went and bought a copy..I'm always looking for a good read-aloud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Lillie loved it. It used to make me want to own a sheep dog when I was younger.

      Delete
  2. Keep it up. I love book recommendations!

    ReplyDelete