Monday, September 29, 2014

Getting With The Times

I have discovered something that has rocked my literary world, people. 

Now, a normal trip to the library goes something like this. First, we pull up to the library in the van. I turn off the engine and turn around to face the passengers. 

     "Everyone give me your attention! What are the three rules? Behave, Be Quiet, and Be Calm. Anyone caught breaking the rules will have to face the consequences."

Three solemn faces nod vigorously. We climb out of the van, troop up the front door, walk inside and then it starts. 



The baby is the first to go. As soon as her feet hit carpet, she makes a beeline for the computer in the kid room. Even though they aren't allowed to play the computer at this library (mainly because there is only one computer and three kids so fights are inevitable), she doesn't really agree with that ruling. She pulls out the petite blue plastic chair, scotches up to the screen and chants "Puter! Puter! Puter!"

The boy is next. The kid room also hosts a large square toy like the ones they have in doctor's offices. You know, the ones with the balls on the wire loops? It also has a wheel on the side that you can spin and make multiple balls roll around and around, making a noise similar to someone spilling a bowl of marbles on a tile floor. Why they have this in a place that traditionally is supposed to be quiet, I don't know. The boy, after a momentary delay while he looks longingly at the computer and strokes its keys, heads straight to the toy and starts spinning the wheel around and around and around. 

The oldest curls up in a corner with a book, enjoying the solitude until the baby gets bored with the dead computer and decides to come over and try to insert her head between the book and the oldest's head. No malice intended, it's just that the eldest's book must be more interesting than any other book on the shelf, including the board books down on her level with the peek-a-boo flaps. 

While all this is going on, I am trying to find the books on my list for the next two weeks for both levels of school work. I usually just end up walking down every shelf with my head tilted to the side, ending up light headed after three or four rows. 


That was then. This is now. 



I have discovered that the library has a feature on it's online directory where you can look up and request books and, get this, they will call you when they are there and ready for pick up! They hold the requests for a week so all I have to do is go once a week, walk up to the desk and there they all are. A shining tower of the exact books I need for the next two weeks, without all the headaches. You can also place requests that become active at set future dates. 


Life is beautiful. 



2 comments:

  1. Ain't life grand. Nice feature for mothers with young children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I can see your babies in my head and all their exploring.

    ReplyDelete